The first steps to organize your wedding in the Bel Paese
Dreaming of getting marry in the land of the sun? Your love dream can become a reality in Italy! We are happy to share with you some tips, that we hope you will find helpful throughout the planning process. We have listed them according to time priority below. Our goal is to make the time leading up to the marriage less stressful, avoiding unforeseen inconveniences and keeping control.
- Prepare a list explaining your vision, including all the activities and essential requirements for your Wedding day and share it with your wedding planner. Email, Skype calls and messaging services like WhatsApp or Telegram can help you keeping in touch. You can collect everything you need in a shared file, where you will take note of what is most important to prepare your wedding in Italy.
- Define the type of ceremony. It is important to know what kind of ceremony you are looking at for your marriage (civil, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Hindu…) to know well in advance what type of documents need to be prepared and requested to civil or religious authorities, but also to choose the most appropriate location that offers you the optimal solution for your preferred ceremony.
- Choose a location. Italy is a land of a thousand beauties. From the sea, to the mountains, to the lakes and the cities of art. Every landscape knows how to enchant you with its own peculiarities. Prepare a list of your favorite destinations and talk with your wedding planner. It is important to choose in advance the scenery of your big day, in order to understand if the location of your dreams can accommodate the type of ceremony you choose, the number of guests you are expecting, and host your most beautiful day.
- Paperwork. Unlike other European States, an engaged couple who decides to get married in Italy does not need to be resident or spend a minimum time in Italy prior to the ceremony. However, some standard documents are required to be legally married in Italy. These documents vary according to the citizenship of the couple: you should apply well in advance to the competent authorities of your country of residence (or citizenship), in order to obtain the proper documents before leaving for Italy. Here are some of the documents required for couples who decide to get married in Italy with a civil wedding:
- Valid passports
- Birth certificates
- Nulla Osta and/or Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry, or other specific documents
- Proof of citizenship
- (if appropriate) A final divorce decree or death certificate of previous spouse
- (for US citizens and a few other countries) Atto Notorio, (for non-EU citizens) additional certificate confirming compliance with legal regulations
Getting married in Italy means treating yourself to a wonderful emotion, getting to know a thousand-year-old culture, deeply rooted in the past and in the beauties of its territory. If you are thinking of Italy as a possible location for your wedding, visit our website and discover real weddings we have organized in unique locations. Read the direct experience of the protagonists: the bride and groom, and if you have questions and want to better know our method and vision, contact us directly via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in our enquiry form.