To look great on her wedding day, a bride has to consider every element of her look: make-up, dress, and obviously hairstyling. Which are the DOS and the DONTS when we talk about the bride’s hair?
Nowadays brides have countless options for their marriage look, just one thing is certain: your wedding day is no time for a bad hair day. As every bride you want your hair, as everything else, to look more beautiful than ever. Talking about hairstyles, there tend to be two kinds of brides: those who want something impressive and special for the event, and those who, literally, don’t want to change a hair. Sure it is possible to have a chic and natural look at the same time. In our opinion, the best solution is to choose your everyday style adding some of the many possible touches to look a bit more romantic or eye-catching, not renouncing to your own style.
Another factor to be taken into consideration, apart from style, is hair care: as your beauty timeline clock is ticking towards your quickly approaching wedding day there is no time for hair disasters!
Check out our list of dos and don’ts to get your hair perfect and not risking a bad hair wedding day. Follow our tips to help you achieve the bridal hairstyle suitable to you:
Bridal Hairstyle: DOS
- Try a few styles before choosing your look and remember that most depends on the type of gown you’ve chosen and your hair length: Is the latest style you really love feasible on your hair?
- If you have long hair and you love either updos and hair loose down on your shoulders, maybe an in-between style could be a lovely compromise. If you don’t like this solution remember that more and more brides are wearing an updo during the ceremony and taking their hair down for the reception. Details are key for brides with short hair. For cropped cuts, we love tiny crystal-tipped hairpins tactically placed throughout the hair to add a shiny touch.
- Match your hairstyle to your gown and to the style of your special day. When determining your wedding hairstyle, you might consider the type of gown you will be wearing. For example, if your dress is very formal a sophisticated and elaborate updo may be the right choice. Otherwise, if your gown has a 70’s vintage look you might wear your hair loose with some flower buds or an elegant braided style. Consider the neckline of your gown as well: if you plan to wear your hair down, will it clash with the décolletage or cover any special jewellery?
- Decide on a hairstyle before you choose your veil or accessories: Hair accessories vary from simple headbands and small flower buds sprinkled throughout hair to jeweled pins, lace Juliet caps, and glittering princess tiaras so make the right choice having previously checked all the options you have. Tiaras look good on both short or long hair such as flowers or jeweled trimmings. When shopping for hair accessories, don’t forget to make sure the accessories are suitable to the style you’ve chosen and don’t forget to consider the color of your gown.
- If this is the case, choose the right veil taking into consideration the rule that teaches that your veil should always be longer than your hair.
- Choose your hairstyle considering the location and possible bad weather conditions: in any case, if you want your hair to shine on your special day, ask your hairdresser for a good conditioner. This has to be done several weeks in advance so that you can get to know which products are suitable for your hair and make it look shiny and healthy and avoid those which make it frizzy or flat. In any event, always experiment new products well in advance. The last thing a bride wants is a bad surprise on her wedding day.
- Visit your hairstylist at least six months before the wedding to set up a hair care treatment: even if now it looks healthy, your hair may need nutrition before a very busy period like the one you’re about to face while planning your wedding.
- Freshen up your hair color two weeks before the wedding, not after: it has to look natural and of course you want to avoid those color spots on your skin
- During your hair session on the wedding day: wear a shirt to avoid ruining your style and remind to bring the hairpieces you have chosen
- Prepare an emergency kit for last-minute retouch during the reception: it’s a long day and of course you want to be perfect all the time
Bridal Hairstyle: DONTS
- Make hairstyle dramatic changes within three months before the wedding: In case you are inspired all of a sudden to change your hair radically… don’t! This is not the right time for it! If you utterly must get that perm or glamorous new colour you’ve always desired, do it in advance, at least six months before your wedding. That way, in case you disgust it, you will have loads of time to correct the problem: color it back or grow it out before your big day.
- Color your hair at home before the wedding unless you are a professional: even if you normally do it yourself this is the time to relax and have it made by a professional who will be able to pamper you the way you need it now!
- Choose a huge or too elaborate headpiece: it could be impossible to wear most of all if they are too heavy for your updo!
- Use new hair products on the big day: you could be allergic to them. As we said before test new products well in advance to avoid unpleasant last-minute surprises.
- Wash your hair right before styling it: it may be too smooth to handle! It’s better to wash them the day before the hairdo.
- Have your hair styled too early before the ceremony: the best time to set the appointment with the hairdresser is two hours before the ceremony.
We can recommend the best hair and make-up professionals to guarantee the most perfect look. We invite you to visit our website and discover the other services we offer for your destination wedding in Italy.
Whichever style you choose, remember that your hair is the frame for your beautiful face. If you just accept the few suggestions we listed in this article it is practically impossible to look bad under these circumstances: on your wedding day you will be full of happiness and surrounded by your beloved ones. Your skin will glow, your eyes will shine, your hair will look divine, and of course, you will live happily ever after.
Image Credits: Gianni Di Natale ©.